You're likely suffering from TMJ disorder (temporomandibular joint) if your jaws hurt or notice a popping or clicking sound anytime you open your mouth. When left untreated, TMJ problems can worsen and cause intense pain and other symptoms.
Getting a doctor care for TMJ problems can help you control the symptoms and improve your regular ability to chew. At TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre, we use advanced diagnostic tools to determine whether a TMJ is causing your pain. If yes, we'll recommend an effective treatment plan to help you alleviate discomfort and put you back on the road to recovery.
Understanding TMJ Disorder
The temporomandibular joint is situated on either side of the head and operates like a sliding joint, allowing the jaw to move side-to-side, forward, and backward. However, several things can make the TMJ malfunction:
- The disk has eroded or shifted out of alignment.
- The cartilage covering the bone has deteriorated.
- The joint sustained severe injury from a traumatic blow.
- Severe teeth grinding/clenching or teeth that don't bite together correctly can stress the joint.
While anyone can develop temporomandibular joint disorder, some people are at a higher risk of having TMJ disorder. They include:
- Those who are highly stressed
- People with jaw injuries or trauma
- Those with certain medical conditions such as lower back pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- People who have experienced a particular dental procedure
- Young women (according to the TMJ Association, the ratio of women to men's seeking TMJ treatment is 9:1)
When To See A TMJ Doctor
See a TMJ doctor right away if you're experiencing any of the following TMJ disorder symptoms:
- Sinus pain
- Misaligned bite
- Ringing in the ears
- Jaw pain or soreness
- Finger numbness or tingling
- Excessive tooth wear
- Shoulder and neck pain
- Limited range of motion of the mouth
- Clicking sound when you open your mouth
- The jaw locked in the closed or open position
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- Pain when talking or yawning
If you're experiencing any of the TMJ symptoms, Dr. Shirazi can help. He has the experience to help you diagnose and treat your TMJ disorder.
Why choose Dr. Shirazi?
Dr. Shirazi specializes in treating TMJ disorders and facial pain, craniomandibular orthopedics, and sleep-disordered breathing. He will assess you; determine the root of the problem. Dr. Shirazi will take his time to develop a personalized treatment plan that helps ease your symptoms and reduce pain, allowing you to resume your day-to-day activities without fear of continuing discomfort or future complications. Please schedule an appointment to see what Dr. Shirazi can do to help you eliminate your pain.
Contact Us For TMJ Doctor Pacific Palisades
Don't hesitate to call our office if you’re feeling pain in your jaw or trouble opening your mouth. No one knows it better than Dr. Shirazi. He can diagnose your TMJ disorder and recommend treatment. Please call 805-496-5700 / 310-401-0813 to schedule an appointment with him.TMJ Doctor Pacific Palisades